Monday, September 9, 2013

Amalfi Coast

Trip overview
This weekend I took a trip with a student tour company called Bus2Alps to Amalfi Caost in Italy. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been. I strongly suggest you cancel whatever trip you have planned next and fly to Naples then drive to Sorrento in the Amalfi coast.
Capri from the top
We took the 3 hour bus ride down to Sorrento Thursday night. We woke up really early, worth it in the end, to ferry of to the island of Capri. This Island  (in the picture to the right) is beyond beautiful. I don't think any picture I post will do it justice but I will try because I know how much everyone wants to see them. We spent all day walking around (climbing around because the whole island is one giant hill) and just stoping every 2 seconds to take in the view. 

I truly enjoyed everything about Capri, the best part was the private boat tour that we took when we first arrived that took us to the blue grotto. The Blue Grotto is one of Europes natural wonders. It is a cave that has amazing flourescent blue water from the reflection of the sun in the cave.
Blue grotto
It was the coolest thing because in order to enter you have to go in a really small 4 person boat and lay flat becasue the opening is so small (honestly I don't know who discovered it but he's one brave person). My favorite part of the boat ride was the fact that my group of about 15 friends, that are also my closest group in Rome including Maryland people, got our own private smaller boat. The entire trip had about 200 people on it but as we were the last off the ferry we were the last to get on a boat. We missed #1, #2 then with only our group left we got a small private one, so much cooler. 



Day 2 we spent in Positano. Positano is also amazingly georgous. We spent the day on the beach and walked around town (walked again equals climbed because the entire area is one big mountain.) We went cliff diving and cave swimming. I'm not good with heights but I had to do the cliff and honestly it wasn't too high but it was really fun. We ended our trip at Pompeii on Sunday and honestly it was too hot and was alright at best, not too much to say.
Inside the caves
Overall it was an amazing trip. I was able to spend time with some new friends and stayed with our Maryland group as well. I would highly suggest traveling there. We saw celebrity houses, mountains, caves and amazingly blue water. Im happy I was able to go.

Overall Rome update
One of the weirdest things about studying abroad and traveling is that coming "home" is coming to Rome. Im so used to coming back from a long weekend and relaxing in air conditioning and having home comforts. This time im back to Rome and still trying to figure out the best way to do things. Laundry with no dryers, cooking my own food and using buses for school are some of the things im learning about. I can't wait to continue this journey. For those worried (mom and dad), my classes are going well.

This weekend off to the party and club capitol Ibiza, Spain. 
Private boat in Capri

No comments:

Post a Comment