Sunday, September 1, 2013

First thoughts of Rome

Hello Everybody

So on wednesday I Arrived in Rome after 8 hours of occasional 20 minute naps which in total may have added up to one hour or probably less. Luckily the plane had working TVs and individualized control over which shows to watch (How I met your mother men v suits episode a few times).
After arriving in Rome I was greeted by the schools employees and I was shuttled to my building. I live with 5 other people including one of my friends from Maryland and the other kids are also from the tri state area. Its hard to tell at this point how things will continue to go but I am excited for this semester and it seems like I have a great apartment. We also went to the beach 30minutes from Rome today (pictures to follow on the twitter feed).

Here are some things I have learned about Rome so far:
-Red lights are optional on mopeds
-driving rules don't exist at all
-Public transportation is "free" (nobody including locals pay b/c tickets are rarely checked)
-buses run on a schedule ranging from every 15 minutes to back-to-back
-everything is closed from 2-4 (14:00-16:00 every day) and on sundays
-pizza is ordered by weight
-its very easy to get lost when the streets don't run straight
-Street vendors think that Americans only buy shiny light up toys and flowers
-traveling with a large group of american students to the beach is harder than it seems on public transportation.
-Camp could only prepared me for no AC so well and
- its not easy to find non-pasta/pizza food in Italy

Future:
Amalfi Coast this weekend
Ibiza
Oktoberfest

Ciao for now


No comments:

Post a Comment